random to my heart

5/28/2012 10:36:00 PM / Posted by Meanniee /

it was a little before eleven, as i sat on the mat in the living room, with Xiao Ting sitting on my lap. she likes to spend time just curled up beside me at night. i would always scare her off by saying i am watching zombies/ghost/horror movies " but i just want to be with you..." she would retort. "and please don't watch ghost movies la.... please la...." such pretense. :P

she is at the age right now where she worships me. i am this barbie adult, with grace and intelligence, plus dresses, bags and high heels to wear everyday. but of course, next year she would turn into her big sister with her own little clique of bffs who wouldn't stop phoning/FB each other for gossips.

then, the mobile rang.

She: guess what?
Me : wat?
She: my day was ruined.
Me : what happen?
She: i was having a rather pleasant day doing retail therapy in mid valley this morning until...
Me : ...
She: until i met XXX.
Me : and?
She: he asked me whether i have a boyfriend.
Me : what did you say?
She: i said "no". but then i succumbed into this deep dark depression.
Me : ...
She: but the first thing that came to my mind was.... how glad i am to have had a meeting this morning so that i have on a rather nice ensemble.
Me : ... and what has that got to do with this...
She: ... AT LEAST i was standing in front of him not appearing like some lonely old maid, i was presentable and capable of doing my shopping ALONE.
Me : right.
She: it has been 12 years since we graduated... how depressing can that be.
Me : ah... 12 years already?!...ahh.... i am so old now.

suddenly, xiao ting turn her head around and look at me with the most defiant expression....

Ting: gugu, you are NOT old!

i was astounded by her sudden little outburst of concern. little rascal, she was eavesdropping on my phone conversation. :P but she appears to be genuinely worried. well, she does always say my mom is old (to my mom's horror). and she refuses that i call myself old. maybe she associates old == death. i do admit i abuse the word far too often.

arrh.... she could be such an angel at times (to be precise, usually at late nights when she's half awake/half asleep). and then i would hug her and kiss her until she hates me again. :)

kids say the darnest thing. they would say i love you, to which they really mean it. even if it's only for 5 minutes. they really do, love you. for that 5 minutes.

for now. i am content with that 5 minutes. for we know, love comes in fleeting moments. and tonight, this is my moment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment